Industry advocacy body Meetings Mean Business Canada (MMBC), at its recent AGM, endorsed a new Board of Directors and Executive Team for 2022 and 2023.
MMBC announced two-year terms for Board members as well as the Executive Team began immediately following the AGM, held in Ottawa on 29 November, 2021.
Marriott International’s Laura Pallotta (pictured) takes on responsibility as chair of the Executive Team after having served two years as vice-chair. Clark Grue moves from chair into the past chair position. Minto Schneider joins the Executive Team as vice-chair, as does Jeff Nearing, who was appointed secretary treasurer. Grant Snider remains on the Executive Team in the newly created role of VP membership & engagement.
“I’d like to offer our sincere appreciation and thanks to Clark Grue and former vice-chair Heidi Welker, as well as to our outgoing directors for their dedication and strong leadership over the past 20 months,” Pallotta said. “Our industry has faced the most challenging time in its history. MMBC’s active leadership and united voice with our coalition partners ensured that elected officials and other government decision makers not only understood our challenges, but provided sector-specific support towards our industry’s overall recovery.
“I would also like to welcome our incoming board to MMBC. Our industry is on the road to recovery and 2022 will be a pivotal year as we work with our partners to advocate on behalf of our hardest-hit businesses. There is still much advocacy work to be done to get our industry fully back on its feet and contributing to Canada’s overall growth.”
MMBC Board of Directors, 2022–23
- Jennifer Allaby, executive director, Canadian Association of Exposition Management (CAEM)
- Scott Beck, president & CEO, Destination Toronto
- David Campbell, managing director, Encore Canada
- Lorenz Hassenstein, president & CEO, Metro Toronto Convention Centre
- Angie Pfeifer, vice-president, IGM Field and Corporate Event Marketing, IG Wealth Management
- Laura Purdy, general manager, Exhibition Place, Toronto
- Barry Smith, executive director, Convention Centres Canada
- Jennifer Spear, president & creative strategist, Clean Slate Strategies
- Debbie van der Beek, president & publisher, Ignite and ADRENALIN magazines
- David Woodward, executive director, Meetings & Conventions, Tourism Calgary