City marketing bureau visit.brussels appointed 18 partners as Ambassadors for the destination on 30 January at a gala evening in the Belgian capital.
The 18 new ambassadors received their awards before an audience of 150 that included academics, doctors, European commissioners, university rectors, chairs and directors of international associations established in Brussels, scientists, hospital directors and other partners.
The Brussels-Capital Region has been ramping up its efforts to attract big international events for the past few years. In 2017, 757 meetings took place in the Belgian capital, which meant that Brussels was once again the first-placed city in Europe and placed second in the world for organising conferences (according to the annual report of the Union of International Associations (UIA).
Each year, the conferences held in the capital translate into 2.6m overnight stays. These events annually bring in €874m and provide work for 23,000 people.
The 18 Brussels Ambassadors’ Night award winners have contributed a great deal to these excellent results.
The full list of organisations rewarded for their contributions were:
- BREWERS OF EUROPE FORUM – The Brewers of Europe – Pierre-Olivier Bergeron
- EUROPEAN ISSUERS CAPITAL MARKET FORUM – European Issuers – Florence Bindelle
- 18th EUROPEAN CONGRESS OF NEUROSURGERY – Erasmus Hospital Neurosurgery Department – Michaël Bruneau
- 24th ANNUAL EARMA CONFERENCE – EARMA (European Association of Research Managers & Administrators) – Nick Claesen 5. EMNLP CONFERENCE – KU Leuven Dienst Congress & Event – Dominique De Brabanter
- BIENNALE 2018 BUSINESS NETWORK – Business Network – Lorraine de Fierlant
- ISLH ANNUAL MEETING – Ghent University Hospital – Katrien Devreese
- SLAS EUROPE CONFERENCE – Society for Laboratory Automation and Screening Europe – Caroline Gutierrez
- 54th EUROTOX CONGRESS – BelTox (Belgian Society of Toxicology and Ecotoxicology) – Dominique Lison
- 28th ACI EUROPE/WORLD ANNUAL CONGRESS – ACI Europe – Airports Council International – Danielle Michel
- 10th ESPA/IAPA CONGRESS – UZ Brussel – Children’s Hospital – Nadia Najafi
- 35th EU PVSEC CONFERENCE – WIP Wirtschaft und Infrastruktur GmbH & Co Planungs-KG – Denis Schultz
- 56th INTERNATIONAL YOUNG LAWYERS CONGRESS – AIJA – International Association of Young Lawyers – Fanny Senez 14. 8th ESPES ANNUAL CONGRESS – Queen Fabiola Children’s University Hospital – Henri Steyaert
- 18th ICEM CONFERENCE – VUB – Dept. Mechanics of Materials and Constructions (MEMC) – Danny Van Hemelrijck
- EUROPEAN POPULATION CONFERENCE – European Association for Population Studies – Nico van Nimwegen
- 22nd ILGA-EUROPE ANNUAL CONFERENCE – ILGA Europe – Björn van Roozendaal
- AVERE E-MOBILITY CONFERENCE – ASBE – Philippe Vangeel