The Alberta city is busy highlighting a big natural resource for drawing in major events
Calgary’s natural resources (energy) vertical is a big pull for event organisers, including for The Society of Petroleum Engineers which is hosting its Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition in Calgary 30 September – 2 October, 2019. It will be the first time the SPE has hosted the ATCE in Canada and organisers are expecting an attendance of 8,000.
“For the first time in its 95-year history, the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition will be held in Canada. SPE’s flagship event will bring international oil and gas professionals to Calgary and will provide an opportunity for Canadian companies to showcase their wealth of knowledge and technology. And with more than 4,800 professional members in Canada, it allows SPE to bring high-quality, multidisciplinary technical content to its members’ backyard,” says Stephen Graham, Chief Operations Officer, Society of Petroleum Engineers.
“Calgary is a centre for global leadership in the energy industry, so it is long overdue that for the first time ever, the 160,000-member Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) has chosen Calgary for its 2019 Annual Conference and Technical Exhibition (ATCE). SPE members come from over 145 countries all over the globe, and ATCE is always a very international gathering,” adds Darcy Spady, 2018 SPE International President.
Spady’s family roots go back 100 years in the Calgary area, and he says it is “a great pleasure to welcome 8,000 of my colleagues in the global Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) to our Annual Technical Conference & Exhibition in Calgary in 2019. SPE members represent the leading edge of energy technology in the oil and gas sector. With Calgary’s leading edge research, technology and operational efficiency in oil and gas, I know that this will be a great event.
“Calgary is known as a global leader in energy technology, especially in the oil and gas sector. Our companies have invented, innovated, optimised and marketed some of the leading technologies and best practices in the world. It is only natural that for the first time ever the SPE is holding its ATCE right here in the global hub of the energy industry.”
Calgary is also currently bidding for the World Petroleum Congress 2023, alongside four other competing countries. Calgary hosted the WPC back in 2000– the first time it was held in Canada.
And the track record is also good, with the city hosting the Spring Meeting of the PRCI Pipeline Technical Committees – 2018.
Also in the energy sector, the Solar Canada Conference and Exposition is taking place in May 2019.
Of course, it is not all about energy and natural resources, Calgary also has a programme of major events booked in across many sectors, including:
- Solar Canada 2019 Conference and Exposition – May 2019
- International Society of Biomechanics 2019 Congress – July 2019
- Pentecostal World Conference – August 2019
- Society of Petroleum Engineers Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition – September 2019
- Canadian Wind Energy Association Annual Conference and Exhibition – October 2019
- Master Brewers of the Americas – October 2019
- International Pediatric Nephrology Association Congress – 2022
- Lions Club USA Canada Leadership Forum – September 2022
- Rotary International – June 2025
Some other fast facts about Calgary:
- In 2018, The Economist named Calgary the most liveable city in North America, and 4th most liveable city in the world
- The city leads in Canada for technology start-up companies and Internet connection with over 187,000km of installed fibre optics
- Canada’s best-selling cocktail, the Bloody Caesar, was invented in Calgary
- Calgary is located at 1,139m above sea level
- Calgary is Western Canada’s transportation and distribution hub
- Calgary is home to over 135 corporate head offices, the highest per capita in Canada
- Calgary has the youngest, best educated workforce in Canada — 60% of Calgarians have post secondary education
- There is no provincial sales tax in Alberta
- Calgary has over 8,000 hectares of parkland within the city limits and the Canadian Rockies are just an hour away
- The Globe and Mail recently ranked the Calgary Folk Music Festival among the Seven Musical Wonders of the World
- Ginger Beef was created in Calgary in 1974 by a chef at the Silver Inn
- Over 1m people visit the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, the Calgary Stampede, every year