Austria ramps up for events after Minister steps down

Europe News
Austria ramps up for events after Minister steps down

The Austrian government has said it will allow cultural events for up to 100 spectators from 29 May as the country continues emerging from its coronavirus lockdown. The number of spectators permitted will go up to 250 people from July 1, when cinemas will also be able to reopen. And, from 1 August, events for up to 1,000 people could be allowed if organisers present safety measures that meet government approval.

The government in Vienna acted after coming under criticism for failing to present a plan for reopening cultural venues.

Culture Minister Ulrike Lunacek, a member of the Green party and former Vice-President of the European parliament, had been forced to resign 15 May, after coming in for heavy criticism for what many in the sector said was the government’s insufficient support for venues and artists.

The Salzburg Festival is scheduled to go ahead this August but in a reduced format.

Austria has so far recorded 16,000 novel coronavirus cases with 628 Covid-19 related deaths.

Managing Editor, Conference News & Conference & Meetings World. Write Paul an E-mail

Leave a Reply